2.19.2009

Defining passion




How is passion defined? Webster's defines passion as: Pervading spirit, ruling passion, master passion, fullness of heart, flow of soul.

Why is it important to feel passion for what you are doing both professionally and personally? One reason is that if you are passionate, you are motivated and if you are motivated you are passionate! Have you ever met someone who is passionate about his or her work? It probably made a huge impression on you.

Let me tell you about Kevin Brown. The first time a walked into the meeting room at a hotel in Philadelphia, Kevin Brown was setting up tables for my meeting. He came over with a big smile and said " I am Kevin Brown, and I would like to welcome you to our home- I want to make sure you feel at home when you are here, and if you need anything give me a call. I am employee of the year and I will exceed your expectations. Because when you care it shows." Kevin Brown works at the hotel setting up the tables for meetings and banquets and he is passionate about it. I have never had a meeting in Philadelphia at any other hotel. Kevin Brown is passionate about his work. My first question when I walk into the hotel is "Is Kevin on duty tonight?" Kevin Brown's passion for his work is an incredible value for his employer and for him. Think about it- whenever you experience someone who is energetic and passionate in a store or a restaurant or a business, doesn't it impress you? When you experience the opposite of that doesn't it make a negative impression?

Having a passion for what you do has several advantages:
· It keeps you fired up and motivated!
· It makes what you are doing fun.
· You can be an inspiration to others (there is no question that enthusiasm is transferable and very contagious)
· You will be more productive
· You will be more successful.

So try to pursue the very things that you are passionate about- that is the difference between good and great!

No comments:

Post a Comment